Mental Health Professionals

Have you been struggling with difficult feelings for quite some time?

Do your difficult feelings make it hard to manage day-to-day tasks?

A Mental Health Professional  could help you understand your difficulties, find ways to cope and feel better.

What is a Mental Health Professional?

‘Mental Health Professionals’ include a counsellor, psychologist, psychological therapist, psychiatrist, mental health nurse or family therapist.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)



Support – Specialist

Speed – Longer waiting times

Access – Referral required

CAMHS is an NHS service which includes a team of mental health professionals who specialise in helping children, teenagers and families to cope with mental health difficulties.

How to access the service?

The CAMHS site in Moray sits in the Rowan Centre in Elgin. For an appointment in CAMHS, you need to be referred by a professional. This can be your GP, social worker, educational psychologist or a named person (head teacher, guidance teacher). Talk to them if you feel like you are struggling. They should be able to direct you to the appropriate support service.

Professionals can find guidance on making a referral to CAMHS here.

What to expect from your first CAMHS appointment?

If you are referred you will receive information about your first appointment. When you arrive at your appointment you can let the receptionist know and sit in the waiting room. Your mental health professional will come meet you and invite you for your appointment. Your first appointment is a confidential, screening appointment. This means your clinician will listen to you, ask some questions to help them understand and decide with you the best way forward. This might mean coming to CAMHS for more appointments or directing you to other services that can help. You and your clinician will be working collaboratively in finding helpful ways to cope with your difficulties.

What if I need urgent help?

If you are struggling and feel like you need urgent care, talk to a trusted adult, contact your GP, NHS 24 (999) or Emergency Services (see Urgent Help page).

To find out more about CAMHS click on the links below:

Mental health and wellbeing support at your school

There might be mental health and wellbeing supports at place at your school. These might be provided by a school nurse, educational psychologist and home-school linkworker. Talk to your guidance, class or headteacher at school about what supports are available at your school. See our Supports at school page for more information about these.



Support – Lower level to specialist level

Speed – Medium wait

Access – Some services require referral


Below are counselling services available in Moray who can help you find ways to cope with difficult feelings.

Grec’s Me Time

Counselling that can take place in school for children and young people experiencing discrimination. You can refer yourself or a professional who is working with you can make a referral.




Counselling service based in Buckie for those who are 16 years old and over.  You do not have to pay for this service, but if you’re able to give a contribution this would be welcomed.  You can refer yourself or you ask a professional who is working with you to make a referral.



Private Counsellors

For fee paying private counsellors and psychological therapists within Moray visit: